Hurricane Response: Assist the Orange County Long-Term Recovery Group!
January 10 - June 30
Our Mission: To strengthen area-wide disaster coordination in Orange County by sharing information, simplifying resident access to services, and jointly resolving cases of unmet disaster-related recovery needs.
After a major disaster, like hurricane Irma, there is still a need to re-establish a healthy, functioning community that will sustain itself over time. The Orange County Long Term Recovery Group began meeting in March 2018. The group consists of community partners dedicated to disaster recovery and preparedness.
WE ARE IN NEED OF THE FOLLOWING THREE (3) TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS: CASE MANAGEMENT, AWARENESS/ADVOCACY, AND ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT VOLUNTEERS.
CASE MANAGEMENT VOLUNTEERS:
- Conducting intake interviews with potential clients
- Providing feedback on the feasibility of taking on a case
- Develop a disaster recovery plan with family
- Assisting in sorting and prioritization cases eligible for the long-term recovery group’s services
- Researching different resources for making referrals in the community
- Contacting (or making contacts with) various individuals / organizations in the community whose mission/s align with those of the long-term recovery group, and formalizing connections in order to benefit the affected population
- Contributing to the unmet needs committee, as requested
AWARENESS and ADVOCACY VOLUNTEERS:
- Assisting in promoting the long-term recovery group’s functions, events and mission to the wider Orange County Community
- Attending community events in order to raise awareness of OCLTRG aims
- Speaking on behalf of the OCLTRG at networking events and other group functions, in order to connect them to more available resources
- Finding out more about community organizations willing to partner with the long-term recovery group on various projects/opportunities
- Assisting in the promotion of the long-term recovery group via social media and maintaining its various social media channels
- Building the brand of the long-term recovery group and contributing to its image in the community through word-of-mouth and more formal teaching
ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT VOLUNTEERS:
- Answering phones
- Directing callers and clients to relevant resources
- Entering case data
- Performing other administrative functions, such as organization, filing, etc.
- Assisting with inventory of OCLTRG supplies
- Performing other duties for the Administrative Assistant, as needed
- Participate in other organizational activities as desired
Orange County Long Term Recovery Group provides the necessary training for each volunteer position. VCI’s part in this opportunity is to provide volunteers who are 55+ with a (free) comprehensive benefits package (inclusive of accident, personal liability and automobile liability insurance, a life Insurance benefit, free workshops and more) during the hours that you volunteer! Please contact the RSVP Manager over Orange County for more information: 407-298-4180, x 113 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
RSVP, a part of Senior Corps, is America’s largest volunteer network for people 55 and over. With more than 300,000 volunteers tackling tough issues in communities nationwide, RSVP shows how you can apply the skills and wisdom you have acquired throughout your life to make a positive difference in the lives of others. RSVP is federally funded by the Corporation of National and Community Service.